Tag Archives: restaurant

Prevent Kitchen Burns from Cooking Your Restaurant’s Chefs

Play with fire and you’ll get burned. Work with fire and the risk remains. No industry accounts for more burn injuries than the restaurant business, which suffers over one-third of all reported workplace burns — more than 12,000 a year.

A serious burn can put a valued employee out of commission and cause related financial issues to flare up, seriously hurting your business.

With the right recipe for safety, however, you can put out this risk and keep your employees safe. (more…)

VIDEO: Proactive Approach Reduces Workers Compensation Losses

A high level of knowledge and understanding regarding industry-specific safety issues and loss trends makes a big difference in reducing workers compensation losses.

In this video, Rhonda McCreedy of DeRosa Corporation, Wauwatosa, Wis., and Chris Halverson of M3 Insurance Solutions, Waukesha, Wis., discuss Society Insurance’s proactive approach to risk control and loss prevention in the restaurant and bar business. (more…)

5 Steps to Clean Kitchen Grease Filters

The use of commercial cooking equipment generates grease laden vapors. Commercial grade metal baffle filters should be installed in the kitchen hood above the cooking line to capture this grease before it enters the exhaust system. Grease is highly combustible and poses a fire hazard if allowed to accumulate, so it is important that these filters be cleaned on a regular basis.

When do I clean my Grease Filter? (more…)

Serving Alcohol Responsibly During the Holidays

During the holidays many people want to celebrate with family and friends, and alcohol is often a part of that celebration. However, people can often get caught up in the excitement and consume too much. So it is important to be even more vigilant when serving alcohol during this time of year.

Here are some things you can do to make sure you are serving alcohol responsibly: (more…)

VIDEO: 3 Important Considerations for Restaurant Insurance

Society Insurance participated in a restaurant forum panel discussion for culinary students at Moraine Park Technical College in Fond du Lac, Wis. This discussion included a segment on restaurant insurance.

The experienced panel included:

  • Kevin Wondra, Society Insurance Director of Sales and Marketing
  • Paul Cunningham, Schreiner’s Restaurant, Fond du Lac
  • Ron Jordan, Wisconsin Restaurant Association
  • Kyle Cherek, Wisconsin Foodie

(more…)

VIDEO: Society Understands My Restaurant/Bar Business

Joshua Schams, owner/operator of Club Oasis in Sparta, Wis. shares reasons why he protects his tavern/restaurant with Society Insurance – including knowledge of his unique business, risk control services, and superior coverage protection and value.

Take a moment to watch what Joshua has to say and share his message. Learn more about the difference Society can make for your business by contacting your local independent agent.

Keep Your Restaurant’s Kitchen Free of Foodborne Illness

Positive word-of-mouth is critical to any restaurant’s success, so when a customer contracts a foodborne illness at your establishment, you both suffer.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that roughly one in six Americans contracts a foodborne illness every year. Around 128,000 patients wind up in hospitals sick from food poisoning every year, and 3,000 lose their lives because of foodborne illness.

Serving a multitude of meals each day increases a restaurant’s odds of accidently plating contaminated food and jeopardizing customer health. In addition to being bad for a restaurant’s reputation, it can also open a restaurant up to legal action. (more…)

Restaurant Fires: 5 Tips for Handling Greasy Rags (to Prevent Spontaneous Combustion)

Rags and towels are handy for cleaning up cooking oil and grease residue at restaurants and bars. However, their usefulness can also make them a severe fire hazard.

Spontaneous combustion occurs when heat generated through rapid oxidation causes matter to inexplicably catch fire. As grease and oil become trapped within the fabric fibers, the chance of spontaneous combustion builds. A study by the Consumer Product Safety Commission found that even oil residue as low as 3 percent in fabrics can lead to ignition. (more…)