Rags and towels are handy for cleaning up cooking oil and grease residue at restaurants and bars. However, their usefulness can also make them a severe fire hazard.
Spontaneous combustion occurs when heat generated through rapid oxidation causes matter to inexplicably catch fire. As grease and oil become trapped within the fabric fibers, the chance of spontaneous combustion builds. A study by the Consumer Product Safety Commission found that even oil residue as low as 3 percent in fabrics can lead to ignition. (more…)