Restaurant kitchen fires can lead to employee and customer injuries, total destruction of your building, and may place a significant financial burden on your business until operations are restored. From 2007 to 2011, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has reported 32,272 non-residential cooking equipment fires which have resulted in 21 fatalities, 428 injuries and $185 million in property damage. (more…)
For centuries, harvesting ice was the only means of refrigerating perishable food items. If you lived in the United States, chances are you’d be relying on ice harvesters throughout New England to intricately pack the ice and make ready for a long transport. As you can imagine, shipping ice all across the country can be arduous and costly (even before you consider the loss of product while in transit).
It wasn’t until 1835, when the first patent was granted for a Vapor-Compression Refrigeration Cycle. Over the years, technology has vastly improved and almost everyone can recall growing up with a refrigerator in their own homes. As with many items that have become commonplace, we sometimes take for granted the amount of thought which went into the design and may overlook the importance of regular maintenance on the equipment after it has been installed. (more…)
Your cooking equipment is probably the most important thing inside your restaurant. One unexpected failure could ruin a busy dinner service. Even worse, a kitchen fire could put you out of service for days, or even weeks.
To keep your equipment – and your business – operational, the following five points are often the most critical routine maintenance requirements in the kitchen. The best practices listed below are the requirements of Society Insurance and are based on our company’s loss history and expertise in the restaurant markets that we serve. These best practices closely reflect the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards and may be more or less stringent than the NFPA standards. (more…)
The most common accident in restaurant kitchens are cuts – specifically, finger cuts. This can be costly for an employer due to medical expenses, employee time off of work, and increased workers compensation premiums. Reduce the likelihood of finger cuts occurring at your restaurant by implementing a plan to address the hazard. (more…)
As we celebrate our 100th year in business in 2015, we embark on another century of commitment to our policyholders. Our mission is to protect the livelihoods of our policyholders, and, as the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. In keeping with that theme, we’ll celebrate our 100th year in business with 100 important tips to help identify, evaluate and prevent dangers that could result in financial loss or injury in a year-long “Safe with Society” blog series.
Electric shock is a frequent cause of kitchen injuries. Electricity in combination with wet floors, wet food preparation surfaces and dishwashing equipment can pose a serious hazard.
The following hazards may cause electric shock: (more…)
The use of commercial cooking equipment generates grease laden vapors. Commercial grade metal baffle filters should be installed in the kitchen hood above the cooking line to capture this grease before it enters the exhaust system. Grease is highly combustible and poses a fire hazard if allowed to accumulate, so it is important that these filters be cleaned on a regular basis.
When do I clean my Grease Filter? (more…)
One of the most significant areas of loss in the restaurant environment is slips and falls. The commercial kitchen environment presents special challenges and requires special care to provide a safe working surface. The methods used to clean the kitchen floor are very important, but many times sufficient consideration is not given to the chemicals used in the cleaning process. Properly controlling the grease on kitchen floors is critical for maintaining a safe kitchen, but also keeps it from being tracked into public areas where customers could be impacted. (more…)
September 2014 marks the 20-year anniversary of National Food Safety Month. National Food Safety Month was created in 1994 to heighten awareness about the importance of food safety education. Each year a new theme and free training activities and posters are created for the restaurant and foodservice industry to help reinforce proper food safety practices and procedures.
Rags and towels are handy for cleaning up cooking oil and grease residue at restaurants and bars. However, their usefulness can also make them a severe fire hazard.
Spontaneous combustion occurs when heat generated through rapid oxidation causes matter to inexplicably catch fire. As grease and oil become trapped within the fabric fibers, the chance of spontaneous combustion builds. A study by the Consumer Product Safety Commission found that even oil residue as low as 3 percent in fabrics can lead to ignition. (more…)