- Step-by-Step: How to Clean Up Spills in the Workplace
- How to Reduce Parking Lot Accidents
- The Importance of Proper Restaurant Grease Removal for Kitchen Floors
- Slip and Fall Accidents: What are floor audits and how can Society help you?
- Wet Floor Signs: Tips & Regulations
- Reduce Slips and Falls at Your Grocery or Convenience Store
- Slip & Trip Employee Safety Education with a Smile
- Slip and Fall Claims from a Liability Perspective
- Taking Control of Slip and Fall Risks
- A Slippery Situation: Cleaning Restaurant Kitchen Floors
- Slip-Resistant Shoes for Employees
- Falls Are Not Funny
- Prevent Slips and Falls with a Floor Mat Program
- Preventing Summer Slips, Trips and Falls
- Slips, Trips and Falls Safety Tips
A loss analysis of Society Insurance claims determined that slip and fall accidents on a level surface are Society’s number one source of loss for our Workers Compensation and General Liability customers.
Slips and fall accidents can cause painful injuries that may need immediate medical treatment from emergency medical services. These injuries can also cause permanent disability. It is not a pleasant image when an ambulance has to come to your business to treat and transport an injured customer or employee. This is certainly not the experience that a customer or employee was expecting when they came to visit your business or when they started their work day.
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents?
Slippery floors are often caused by a combination of factors. These factors can include:
- Using the wrong cleaning chemical
- Using too much cleaning chemical
- Pre-mixers not being calibrated properly
- Using dirty or greasy mops to clean floors
- Floor cleaning machines that are not working properly
Why Should You Have a Floor or Walkway Audit?
As a result, Society Insurance risk control experts are working directly with policyholders, taking a proactive approach to reduce the number of slip and fall accident claims and their severity. This is done by reviewing floor cleaning procedures, the use of floor mats, maintenance and repair of floor surfaces, advocating non-slip footwear programs for employees, and completing walkway audits.A floor audit or walkway audit is a risk control service offered to Society Insurance policyholders designed to reduce the risk of slip and fall injuries. Completing a floor audit and developing a plan to improve floor traction will help to prevent costly customer and employee slip and fall accident claims.
To learn more about floor audits, reducing the risk of slip and fall accidents, and consulting with Society’s risk control experts, contact your local Society agent.